District Department of Transportation reselects CH2M for program management of Anacostia Waterfront Initiative
CH2M to integrate multiple transportation, land use and land development initiatives and bolstering neighborhood livability in the nation's capital.
WASHINGTON, Jan. 25, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The District Department of Transportation again selected CH2M as their program management consultant for the next five years of the trailblazing Anacostia Waterfront Initiative. CH2M has partnered with DDOT on the AWI Program since 2006, integrating multiple transportation, land use and land development initiatives and bolstering neighborhood livability in the nation's capital.
"Led by the District of Columbia government and embraced by 19 regional and federal agencies, the AWI is transforming the shores of the Anacostia River into a world-class waterfront," said Kathleen Linehan, CH2M's District of Columbia Account Manager. "Reconnecting communities to the river and to each other, DDOT's visionary transport infrastructure program is providing multimodal, quality of life improvements for walkers, cyclists, transit riders and drivers."
Serving as Program Manager since 2010, CH2M's seamless management of a robust transport project portfolio— including the replacement of the Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge, Barney Circle and Southeast Boulevard, Pennsylvania/Potomac Avenue Circle, the I-295 Malcolm X Interchange, as well as construction of 15 of 28 miles of Anacostia Riverwalk Trail and streetscape improvements on Martin Luther King Boulevard— earned the team the follow-on contract.
CH2M will continue to work alongside DDOT to implement a series of new and continuing projects under the 5-year program management/general engineering consultant contract:
- South Capitol Street Corridor, including the new Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge.
- I-295/Malcolm X Interchange.
- Barney Circle, Southeast Boulevard and the Pennsylvania/Potomac Avenue Circle.
- Kenilworth Avenue Corridor, which includes Parkside Pedestrian Bridge, as well as a number of other future improvements to Kenilworth Avenue and its surrounds.
- M Street SE/SW Corridor, which includes improvements and coordination with private development at the Wharfs and the soccer stadium.
- Anacostia Riverwalk Trail Corridor, which includes sections of the trail yet to be designed and constructed, as well as completion of Kenilworth Trail and the South Capitol Street Trail.
- Suitland Parkway Corridor, which may include further improvements to Martin Luther King Boulevard and the Suitland Bike Trail.
- Review of many adjacent public and private infrastructure improvements, including the CSX Virginia Avenue Tunnel.
Ranked as the No. 2 Program Management firm by Engineering News-Record, CH2M's industry-leading practices will assist DDOT in achieving Anacostia Waterfront Initiative program goals – fostering a vibrant mix of natural and neighborhood assets along a cleaner Anacostia River; preserving natural resources for the benefit and enjoyment of residents and visitors; identifying opportunities to increase access to the river; pioneering innovative green practices in new development; and transforming the shores of the Anacostia River into a world-class waterfront.
CH2M leads the professional services industry delivering sustainable solutions benefiting societal, environmental and economic outcomes with the development of infrastructure and industry. In this way, CH2Mers make a positive difference providing consulting, design, engineering and management services for clients in water; environment and nuclear; transportation; energy and industrial markets, from iconic infrastructure to global programs like the Olympic Games. Ranked among the World's Most Ethical Companies and top firms in environmental consulting and program management, CH2M in 2016 became the first professional services firm honored with the World Environment Center Gold Medal Award for efforts advancing sustainable development. Connect with CH2M at www.ch2m.com; LinkedIn; Twitter; and Facebook.