CH2M highlights sustainable solutions and community improvements delivering triple bottom-line results
CH2M approaches complex problems a bit differently than most, aiming for triple bottom-line results delivering social, environmental and economic returns—with intentional emphasis on the "and."
DENVER, June 14, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Global engineering and consulting firm CH2M approaches complex problems a bit differently than most, aiming for triple bottom-line results delivering social, environmental and economic returns—with intentional emphasis on the "and."
"If we zig when others zag, or turn a problem upside-down to consider it from another angle, it's because we're looking for the most complete solution: one that delivers greater value to our clients and stakeholders," said CH2M Chairman and CEO Jacqueline Hinman.
Among the first companies in its sector to publish a sustainability report as part of the Global Reporting Initiative in 2005, CH2M in 2016 became the first professional services firm ever to be honored with the World Environment Center Gold Medal Award for International Corporate Achievement in Sustainable Development. The firm reinforced its leadership this year by incorporating sustainability performance measures into its Integrated Summary Annual Report and expanding its accompanying Sustainability and Corporate Citizenship Report to include measures achieved in service to clients as well as in the firm's internal operations. Here are some examples of achievements highlighted in the reports:
Advancing sustainability in iconic infrastructure
- Supporting the Panama Canal expansion, completed in 2016, where water-saving basins alongside the new locks recycle up to 60 percent of the water used per transit.
- Improving the River Thames, diverting 40 percent of untreated discharges from London's central waterway via the four-mile Lee Tunnel developed for the Thames Tideway Tunnel Program.
- Managing the Metrolinx Rapid Transit program, which will provide six million people with emissions-free transportation in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area, North America's fourth-largest population center.
Developing world-class communities
- Serving as technical advisor to the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore High Speed Rail program, connecting people to opportunities and fostering quality-of-life developments along the 217-mile route.
- Working with Singapore's Public Utilities Board in its holistic approach to managing the water cycle, delivering the Tuas Water Reclamation Plant to treat 800 megaliters of water per day (the nation's fifth desalination facility), slated to produce 30 million imperial gallons of water per day.
- Celebrating 40 years of partnership with USAID, delivering infrastructure and development programs to provide humanitarian relief in 25 countries, spanning four continents.
Ensuring environmental and economic resiliency
- Providing integrated coastal protection programs including social, environmental and economic improvements around the world, from Puget Sound, Wash., to Lower Manhattan in New York City and along the Thames' tidal system in London.
- Reimagining five miles of beachfront destroyed by Superstorm Sandy to create a more resilient Rockaway Boardwalk, replacing the former wooden structure with a curvaceous concrete walkway situated three feet above the 100-year storm elevation.
- Providing sustainable operations- and facilities-management to beneficially reuse 19.6 billion gallons of wastewater, reduce fuel consumption by 57,800 gallons and save 10.8 million kWH of power, while eliminating 633 tonnes of CO2 emissions for municipal and industrial clients.
Delivering community investments
- Donated more than $2.88 million through company and CH2M Foundation giving to nonprofit organizations in communities where we operate.
- Worked with our key partners Water For People, Bridges to Prosperity and Engineers Without Borders to bring clean water, sanitation and basic infrastructure solutions to developing communities in 42 countries.
- Reached a $2.86 million giving milestone for contributions to Water For People since 2003, with $2.2 million from employee giving alone.
- Provided science, technology, engineering and math education and mentoring to more than 10,000 students and 100 teachers in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Poland and United Arab Emirates via eight different educational and nonprofit organizations.
CH2M also cited achievements in health, safety and environmental management; ethics, employee development, diversity and inclusion; human rights; reduced carbon impacts; and energy, water and paper consumption.
CH2M leads the professional services industry delivering sustainable solutions to promote positive societal, environmental and economic outcomes with the development of infrastructure and industry. CH2Mers make a positive difference providing consulting, design, engineering and management services for clients needing world-class solutions in environmental; industrial and advanced facilities; transportation; and water markets, from iconic infrastructure like the Panama Canal, to sustainable development milestones such as the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
Ranked among the World's Most Ethical Companies and top firms in environmental consulting and program management, CH2M in 2016 became the first professional services firm to receive the World Environment Center Gold Medal Award for International Corporate Achievement in Sustainable Development. Connect with CH2M at www.ch2m.com; LinkedIn; Twitter; and Facebook.