10 unbeatable advantages of using the cloud for flood risk modeling
At the click of a button, the game-changing Flood Cloud service enables users to deliver flood modeling results faster than ever before, and from anywhere in the world.
Edited a report on Google Drive? Used Instagram to share vacation pictures? Chances are, by now you’ve heard of – or if you answered yes to either question – used – the cloud.
In the last few years, cloud computing has caused major change waves in technology and business spheres alike with its remote storage and on-demand access capabilities.
The combination of this exponential growth in computing technology, continual advances in software and modeling methodology and major developments in data capture and availability have created a demand from both users of flood modeling software and clients, to make it quicker to run more detailed model simulations.
This is how CH2M’s Flood Cloud service, now available publicly, changes the way we understand and interpret modeling possibilities. Flood Cloud enables users of our industry-leading suite of flood modeling software to seamlessly undertake their analysis, at any scale, in the cloud.
Flood Cloud provides enterprise-class technology, allowing businesses to act faster and more efficiently, and the pay-as-you-go service allows organizations to manage their costs more effectively.
10 benefits of using Flood Cloud
- Quicker results – access high-performance hardware on-demand, and unlock Flood Modeller’s full potential by running more concurrent instances of the software.
- Greater analysis – overcome historical cost, speed and availability barriers that became the norm with deterministic models for single storm events.
- Flexibility – scale up for processing capability if workloads increase or you need to undertake a more detailed analysis. Likewise, if you need to scale down you have that easy capability – creating a perfect solution for organizations with growing or fluctuating project demands.
- Only pay for what you use – plan and manage your projects simply with a cost-effective pricing structure.
- No capital-expenditure and reduced software costs – align costs with revenues and cut out the initial cost and ongoing maintenance of hardware. With the option to run more concurrent simulations, you also can reduce future software costs.
- Accessibility from anywhere – use Flood Cloud when you need it, at any time, from anywhere. With 24/7 availability, your projects can continue running beyond your regular workday.
- Free up existing software licenses – run your simulations using Flood Cloud, allowing others to use the license to build and edit their models.
- Reliability – say goodbye to typical in-house information technology infrastructure challenges. Hosted by Amazon Web Services’ state-of-the-art offering, Flood Cloud is less prone to these issues.
- Competitive advantage – act faster and more efficiently than ever before with the latest technology, for everyone. This service keeps organizations productive while staying lean and nimble.
- Secure – enjoy peace of mind that your model data and personal details are completely safe, thanks to Amazon’s secure hosting platform.
As the frequency and severity of weather events intensify, Flood Cloud is a game-changer in helping users and clients respond to these situations and enabling them to embrace big data environment challenges while developing a stronger understanding of flooding.
Evolving from its initial use in the design of flood defenses, flood modeling is now an active element of most flood risk management responses, including flood forecasting, community awareness, operational control, development control and risk-based asset management. And Flood Cloud, which earned a spot on New Civil Engineer’s Tech Fest Awards 2017 shortlist in the Innovation of the Year: Big Data category, is truly transforming the way this important work is done.
Interested in learning more about how CH2M drives efficiency using the latest technologies? Visit https://www.ch2m.com/tech-this-out (#TechThisOut).